Thursday, October 10, 2013

Hot Sauce anyone??

My close friends and family (especially my husband) always tell me I make "baseless threats" when it comes to disciplining my children.. what can I say?? I am a just a really really big pushover. I'll give an example... My kids don't really have bedtimes, they lay down in my room and fall asleep when I go to bed. Well, there are some nights that I am extremely tired and they are extremely hyper. I will say over and over, "Ok.. who wants to go in their room and sleep by themselves?" They will immediately lay down for about 2 minutes and start right back up. This will go on and on about 5 times before they finally go to sleep.. in my room. :) I am totally that mom that will say, "What you did was very naughty and so now you don't get ice cream!" My child starts crying and I feel bad and say something like, "ok, you can have ice cream, just not right now.." Pathetic I know!! There is only one circumstance that I can't allow empty threats and that is when it involves my children harming others. When Hawk was about 1 he started biting.. EVERYTHING! You literally had to watch your toes if they were anywhere close to his mouth because he would sneak attack you! I tried everything from timeout, to a slap on the hand, to a spank and nothing seemed to work. My friend had mentioned that she would dip her finger in hot sauce and put it on her child's tongue if he bit someone. I figured it was worth a try because I was desperate at that point. The next time Hawk bit another child I did it and it actually worked. It was the ONLY thing that worked. He learned very quickly that biting was not ok. I never had to give it to him after that, but apparently he wanted to be sure that it would never happen because the other day I found this.. 
Our entire bottle (it was full) of Tapatio dumped down the drain! 

That had to have taken some major time and effort because that stuff doesn't just pour out. I brought the bottle out to him and said, "Hawk, did you dump the hot sauce into the sink?" His response, "No Mommy, Reef! (while pointing his little finger at his brother)" I said, "Hawky, lying is not ok! You need to tell Mommy the truth, did you dump the hot sauce down the sink??" He said, "YEP!" and started laughing hysterically. How do you get angry at something like that? He is just too funny! 


No comments:

Post a Comment